Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Hearts Desire

Everybody had one.

Some people had two.

I had even seen a lady walking across the street who had five.

Clearly there was one thing sorely missing from my life. I wondered how it could be that I was one of the unlucky few who didn’t have one. Maybe it was one of those things that came with age. Maybe I was just too little to be trusted with one. Did they think that I couldn’t carry the burden or the responsibility of having one? Of course I didn’t know what it took to be worthy. Mom always said that good things come to those who wait.

So I waited. And waited. That can get pretty old pretty fast and I was almost six years old already and I still didn’t have what I most desired. A pocket.

You heard me.

And don’t pretend it’s not important because you know it is. You’ve probably forgotten how important it is because you’ve had one for as long as you can remember. In fact, you’re probably one of those people who has two.

Try to see it from my perspective. It’s almost my sixth birthday and I’m pocket-less. I guess there’s no sense talking to you about it. There’s only one place I can turn for important matters such as these. Mom. So when the day came that mom asked me what I wanted for my birthday I told her.

“A pocket.”

There. I finally said it.

And oh what a pocket she made me. It had different fabric on each side, it was reversible and it had a big safety pin so I could attach it to absolutely every piece of clothing that I owned.

And I did.

1 comment:

  1. hey there pookie. you've added your "about" column since i last had the chance to catch up and i think publishing lists of titles is EXACTLY what you should do. so provocative, so many loose ends, i love it.
    and i'll hold you to the promise of tea and chocolate.
    ursula

    ReplyDelete